Thursday, September 5, 2013

Saturday, July 20, 2013




Dutch George Campground
Roosevelt National Forest, CO



What a difference a mile makes.

We move about a mile up Poudre Canyon to Dutch George Campground and find a beautifully treed camping spot on the banks of the Cache la Poudre River.  We think we’ll spend several days here and use this as our base camp for the area.  I decide to put my feet up and enjoy the sights and sounds of the river.



“Cache la Poudre” or “Hide the Powder”.

Legend has it that in 1836, a party of Hudson’s Bay Company trappers was caught in a heavy snowfall and forced to lighten their load near the river.  The order was given to “cache la poudre” or “hide the powder” so it could be retrieved the following spring.  Cache la Poudre River certainly has a better ring to it than Hide the Powder River.


It looks like we have nearly a full moon tonight.

We settle in for the evening and enjoy the moon as it peeks through the trees.  Then, as I listen to the roar of the river thoughts of lakes and reservoirs further up the canyon begin to creep into my mind.  What are the chances of flash flooding?  Hmmm.  I better get this off my mind as it's almost time to go to bed.  I'll think about this in the morning.
 



Sunday, July 21, 2013
Dutch George Campground
Roosevelt National Forest, CO

Kids taking the leap.

Just down from our campsite some kids have figured out there’s a deep pool they can leap into from the craggy rocks above.  They swim across a calm section of the river and climb up to the jutting rocks and maneuver into place for the big leap.  Mom and dad – along with Bella, the dog – monitor the kids.  The boys want to do back flips off the rocks.  Mom gives them a firm “NO” and they thankfully obey.  Sure looks like fun - for them, not us!
 
The kids swimming across the river to the cliffs.



 
"It looks REALLY FAR DOWN from here!  Maybe we should move down the cliff a little farther."

Boys first when it comes to jumping into the river.

 
Cannonball by the oldest boy!

“Catch of the Day”.

Today is Jack’s first day of fly fishing on the Cache la Poudre River.  To my surprise he brings back two trout – a Brown and Rainbow.  He’s not the least bit surprised!  I cook them on the grill for dinner.  I have a sneaking suspicion that Jack’s fishing motto is “I fly’em – you fry’em”.  I do believe the ole’ fish frying topic will need to come up before long.  He’s more into fishing than I am into cooking fish.  In order to have a "full fishing experience" I think he needs to try his hand at cooking his catch over the grill.


I think this was a posed shot.  He didn't really flip the fish!

Not bad!  Fresh trout, green beans, and homemade apple coleslaw.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment