Thursday, October 17, 2013

A truly magnificent sunset!



Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Prospector Campground

Dillon, CO

White River National Forest

Up, up, and away – and into the Rocky Mountains. (continued)

We arrive at Prospector Campground and set up camp in the BEST CAMPSITE in the entire campground (Site #58).  We are perched on the ridge overlooking Lake Dillon.  A storm starts brewing, rolls through, and is followed by the most magnificent sunset we've seen in a very long time.  Here's how it all unfolded.






It's too beautiful for words.


Friday, September 6, 2013

Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.  Of course - it's the Boy Scouts!

A troop of scouts move in across from us.  Later in the evening, the sound of boys laughing and having fun in their tents wafts over to our campsite.  Memories of my boys when they were that age drift through my mind.  A smile comes to my face as I drop off to sleep. 


Saturday, September 7, 2013

Prospector Campground

Dillon, CO

White River National Forest

It’s a busy morning on the trail to Lake Dillon.
I hear a strange noise on the gravel road and peer around “the Moose” and observe a gentleman pulling his kayak down the road on a small rack-type gadget on wheels.   Hmmm – very interesting!

Sure beats lugging the think over your head all the way to the lake.  He turns off the road and heads down the trail to the lake.

I finish my coffee and decide to see how he is fairing down the trail as I can hear some bumping and thudding as he makes his way down the rocky path.  I catch up to him about three-quarters of the way down.


Not far to go – but it’s the steepest incline on the trail.  His kayak is no longer on the rolling gadget.
He comments, “My homemade kayak trailer doesn’t much like this rocky trail.  I’m going to have to get it down to the water without it.”

I offer my assistance but he declines my help.  I ask if I can take some photos and he politely obliges.  Taking pictures suits me better than battling a kayak down a steep incline any day of the week.


The man tells me he’s from Boulder and his work brought him up to this area during the middle of the week.  He couldn’t resist the opportunity to stay and do a little kayaking and fishing while he was here.  Into the kayak, fishing rod tucked behind him, and off he goes.

"Like ... really ... like!"
As I huff and puff my way back up the trail I meet three young women pecking their way down the rocky path towards the water’s edge.  I greet them with a “Good morning”, but only one reciprocates with a “hi” as they are deep in conversation.

Girl One: “It was like soooo dark.  Like … I couldn’t like believe it.”
Girl Two: “Like OMG … like...”
Girl Three: “Like … weren’t you like really scared … like really soooo like scared?”

They’re down the path and don’t hear me mumble to myself, “Like … really, stop saying like … like right now.”

Out for a morning stroll.
As I reach the ridge I meet an older gentleman out for a morning stroll.  Sweat pants, sweat shirt, stocking cap. 
 He smiles and say, “What a beautiful Colorado morning.”
I respond, “Like … really soooo like … beautiful.  Like … I just like … can’t like … believe it … like...”
Just kidding.  I respond in kind and we continue on our separate ways in opposite directions along the trail.


Boy Scouts, their leaders, and canoes.
The Boy Scout troop marches by our campsite with canoes in hand.  They head for the lake to complete their “Canoeing Merit Badges”. 

It’s Boy Scout Troop 675 from Highlands Ranch.  The boys are between 12 and 15 years old.  Now there’s a handful for you!  I ask if they mind if I take some pictures - permission granted.

Boy Scout leaders and volunteers are saints.
I watch the men as they guide and encourage the boys every step of the way.  Reminding the boys of all the paddle strokes they learned and when to use them, how to pull up and roll into the canoe from the water, how to get back into a swamped canoe and get themselves to shore.  Basically, how to not be afraid in a difficult situation – how to depend on your skills to take care of yourself.   

Each boy receives the degree of encouragement needed – some more than others.  One obviously fearful younger boy paddles out into the lake with a 15 year old as his partner to swamp the boat, turn it back upright, climb in, and paddle back to shore.  After 6 or 7 tries – success!  The fear vanishes as he nears the shore; the pride of accomplishment is evident on his smiling face.  He did it! 
The 15 year old encourages him saying, “You’re doing great.  We’re almost there.  Keep paddling!”
The leaders shout encouragement and praise, “You ROCK!  You’re AWESOME!  You did it!  You never gave up.  You battled through it.”
What a great influence these men – and the older scouts – are for the younger boys.

The scouts wrap it up, break up camp, and head back home.  All happy at the success of each has achieved.

Happy travels to y'all.  See you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment