Thursday, October 2, 2014

The story of the “missing piece”.



September 30, 2014: The much-elusive “missing piece”.

I first must apologize for such a long nutty story, but try as I might, I couldn’t figure out how to shorten it.  It’s complicated.  I hope some interesting pictures along the way will help get through it.

So … here we are, back to the missing piece I mentioned back on September 20th the day we left Frisco.  As we prepared to hook up the Jeep to the new RV we realized we were dealing with a very inappropriate hitch angle – a big 6” difference.  Simply put, you just can’t do it.  You want the hitch as level as possible between the two vehicles.  We made the co-executive decision to move out driving both vehicles and deal with it when we get to Salida.

Folks enjoying their morning coffee at café dawn.  Right next door to Floyd’s Barber Shop.

That puts us in Salida, CO where we have now sat (and thoroughly enjoying ourselves, I might add) for the last 11 days.

Plan A: Find a local source for a drop receiver (for RVs) in Salida.  We checked Anderson Motor Co., Holiday RV, Murdock’s, the local welding shop (custom hitch drop), Big O Tires (rents U-Haul trailers), the local trailer & RV parts shop.  All dead ends.  On to Plan B.

Plan B:  AMAZON.com!

On Amazon we find the Blue Ox drop receiver we need.  Now, how to get it here.  This is new territory for us having never ordered products on the road to be shipped to a town we just happen to sitting in at the time. 

We give it the ol’ college try with all the logic we can muster between us.

We have no “Ship To” address as we’re sitting in a BLM campground.  Before ordering we contact customer service at Amazon:
1) We explain our lack of personal shipping address.
2) Ask if we can request a certain carrier so we can give a specific address (UPS Customer Center in Salida, for example).  Amazon’s response: No, we can’t tell you if it will go FedEx, UPS, or USPS.
3) But, their 3-5 business days shipment via USPS with General Delivery to the local post office GUARANTEES shipment as stated … USPS … for an additional $17.30.  Our response: No problem.  Let us check with the post office.  If all’s well with them we’ll place the order.
4) Next, we go to the post office and confirm they will receive such shipment based on the weight.  USPS response: Yes, we do it all the time.
5) We order said product to be delivered USPS General Delivery to the Salida post office, and pay the additional $17.30 for 3-5 day delivery (which again, GUARANTEES USPS shipment).
6) And, WAIT!

Snow capped and cloudy, the Collegiate Peaks west of Salida, CO.

Now that’s service. 

Three days later we get an email from Amazon showing the little tracking line:
_______________________________________________________________
“Shipped” (yes!)               “In Transit” (yes!)               “Out for Delivery” (yes!)

Since the post office can’t deliver, this must mean it’s waiting for pick up.  I head into town to pick up our package.  How easy is this?  At the post office I cheerfully request my package – wallet in hand ready to show my photo ID.  No package.  Hmm.  A truck is due in this afternoon, maybe it’s on that truck.  Great, I’ll check back tomorrow.

Tomorrow arrives … along with another email from Amazon.  "UPS Cannot Deliver Your Package.”

UPS?  What happened to the United States Postal Service delivery your customer service rep GUARANTEED? 

I contact the 800-UPS number.  Since our package was addressed to the Post Office they can’t/won’t deliver it there.  (Note: It’s about a one minute drive between the UPS location and the post office.  We were THAT close!)  But, our package has already been readdressed (by some minimal-common-sense clerk at UPS) and sent back to the Denver area to be delivered to some obscure address on SH67 out in the middle of the Pike-San Isabel National Forest.  Yes indeed, the middle of the flippin’ forest! 

Two customer service representatives and one supervisor later – it’s all fixed!  Shipping address changed to the UPS Center in Salida.  “Your package will be at the UPS Customer Center in Salida, CO on Monday morning at 9:00am.  Contact Ruby (not her real name) on Monday morning.  She will have it ready for you,” I’m told three different times.  Famous last words.

We enjoy the weekend in Salida.  And then, Monday morning comes.

A little after 8am I call the local UPS Customer Center and ask for Ruby as directed by the UPS folks on Friday.  “Ruby?  She’s got jury duty today.  She’s the only one that will know anything about your package.  You can try back around 9.  If she isn’t selected for the jury, she should be in by then.”
“Are you telling me nobody else at this facility can track a package or tell me if it’s sitting there for pick up?”
“Well ma’am.  She’d be the person to talk to,” is the response.

Fishermen trudging through our campsite without so much as a “excuse us”.  It’s the weekend.  What else can I say?

9:15 we show up at the UPS Customer Center.

We ring the doorbell buzzer and someone wanders out to the counter a few minutes later.  Ruby must have been chosen for jury duty since she hasn’t shown up this morning.  A couple of guys rummage around – no package.  “We’ll have to call down to Denver and see where it is.  We’ll give you a call when we know something.”  Sure you will, I’m thinking.

Never one to depend on someone else to get the job done, I place another call to the 800-UPS number during the afternoon.

When I give the CS Rep the tracking number she cheerfully tells me, “Oh yes, that package is out for delivery.”
“Delivery to what address?” I ask, already knowing the answer.  It’s the same blasted address out in the middle of the Pike-San Isabel National Forest.  This would be delivery attempt #2 – to the national forest.
Twenty-five minutes later she is certain everything is in place for delivery to the Salida UPS Customer Center.
“When can I expect delivery at UPS in Salida?” I ask.
“Well, I don’t really know.  They’ll give you a call when it gets there.”
I’m having a little trouble here containing my frustration, “Really?  I’ve been on the phone with you for nearly half-an-hour and you can’t tell me when I should expect the package?  The package that was sitting here last Thursday, mind you.  You have no idea when it will finally make its way back up to Salida?  Is that correct?”
She’s very polite, “Yes ma’am.  That’s correct.”
I thank her for all her marvelous help and hang up – before I scream!  My head hurts.

Fishermen enjoying the afternoon on a raft.

Later in the day a call comes in from the local UPS Customer Center.

I sigh and answer, “Hello?”
“Hi, my name is Jerry (not his real name) here at UPS in Salida.  What’s the deal with your package?  I can’t make out any of these notes.”
I go through the whole scenario – again. 
Jerry gets a little stirred up, “I better get on this right away and call down to Denver to make sure your package gets up here tomorrow morning.  I’ll let you know if there is any issue.  Goodbye ma’am.”
“Thank you, Jerry.  Goodbye.”  Now, here’s a young man that seems to understand the meaning of customer service.

These UPS folks are driving us to drink.  We run into town and hit the High’s Liquor store for some wine to "clear, or cloud our heads" of this whole situation.

7:00 AM Tuesday morning.  Another email from Amazon.

Amazon: We're writing about the order you placed on September 22, 2014 (Order# 104-3……3-0……7).
UPS attempted to deliver your package but was unable to leave the package unattended. (…UNDER A PINE TREE IN THE PIKE-SAN ISABEL NATIONAL FOREST!)

Really?  What a surprise.  It’s a good thing you contacted me, otherwise I would have never known there was a problem.  Thanks for everything.  Oh yeah, thanks for sending my package the way you GUARANTEED for an additional $17.30.  Remember?  United States Postal Service?

9:00 AM Tuesday morning.  A call from the UPS Customer Center, Salida, CO.
I’m greeted with, “Good morning, this is Ruby.  Your package is here for pick up.  I sure am sorry for all the mix up.”
“Me too,” I say.  I thank her for the call and tell her we’ll be right in to pick it up.  Fifteen minutes later – drop receiver in hand, we’re back on track. 

Filled up and hitched up – we’re ready to hit the road.

The diesel tank filled in the Navion, propane tank filled, gas tank filled in the Jeep, and last but not least – the hitch drop receiver in place – we’re ready to make our exit from Salida, Colorado and head south to Great Sand Dunes National Park.  A frustrating week-and-a-half?  You bet.  But, it was a little bump in the “road of life” in a really pleasant town.  Life sure could have treated us worse than this.  We’ll count our blessings and move on down the road.  We’re looking forward to a couple of fun days at the dunes.  Until next time – be safe.

A unique stop sign as you approach the main drag in town.  The Salida locals must need to “STOP GOSSIPING”, but you fine readers – please, gossip away with a comment.  Tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment