Thursday, August 7, 2014

Blackhawks Down!!!



July 14, 2014: Blackhawks Down!  In little Frisco?

It’s a quiet Monday morning in Frisco when suddenly we hear the sound of a helicopter.  A small medical helicopter occasionally leaves the local hospital for Denver, but this sounds much louder … and closer.

We look outside and see not one, but two, helicopters descending behind some tall pine trees nearby.

Five minutes later, the whirring sound is still reverberating in our direction.  I grab the camera and we scurry off in the direction of the middle school where we think they landed.  As we break through the trees and onto the school grounds we gaze upon these magnificent machines.

What an amazing sight!    

They have drawn quite a crowd.

The local police and EMTs are monitoring the field to keep any folks lacking common sense from approaching the Blackhawks.  I talk with an EMT who tells me theses troops are part of the 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) out of Fort Carson Army base near Colorado Springs.  They are in the area participating in maneuvers in some High Country snow fields.
    
 Fifteen minutes later – lift off!   

As the helicopters ascend straight upward I snap some more pictures.  My cap is blown off, my hair is swirling into my line of sight, but I continue clicking in hopes of getting some usable shots. 

Skyward into the glare of the sun.

Slicing through the sun’s rays.

Flying southward they circle around to the east.

In a matter of moments they are tiny specks in the sky with the Continental Divide as their backdrop.  What a marvelous experience. 

The excitement is over.  We meander back to our little abode. 

We head back through the pine trees.  I get sidetracked with all the flowers in bloom that I didn’t notice when we made our way across this same wetland meadow a half hour ago.  Jack continues down the path while I zigzag back and forth through the meadow, camera in hand, enjoying the burst of color.







Another lovely day in Charming Frisco.  Until next time – be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment