Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Day … “In everything give thanks”.



November 28, 2013: Thanksgiving Day … “In everything give thanks”.


I wake this morning before the sun rises, pull back the curtain at the windshield, and see the sun just getting ready to peak over the Plomosa Mountains.



Thankful for #1: The sun is rising again today.  Hallelujah to that!



It’s chilly inside so I start the generator and then put the coffee on to brew.  As I’m straightening up the table, I hear Jack stirring in the bedroom.  He may need my help getting out of bed.  When I step into the bedroom Jack is up and selecting he his “daytime pajamas” to put on (due to his tender belly).



Thankful for #2: Jack needs no help getting out of bed.  Today is already a better day than yesterday.



After a breakfast of eggs and sausage I set up the lounge chairs outside and prepare for a quiet day in the sun.  Phone calls start coming in from family and friends.  First, “How’s Jack doing?”  Then, “Happy Thanksgiving” follows.



Thankful for #3: Our wonderful families and friends.

Although none live in the immediate vicinity they have stayed in close touch and offered any assistance we need … even coming here from Colorado to help.



Jack’s relaxing in the lounge chair with a new book.  I just finished my current book and get up to take a short walk in the area around the motor home.



Having spent 35 of the last 40 years in Colorado with glorious mountains, rushing streams, and soaring pine trees, I must admit I have been having a little trouble finding the beauty in the desert.  I have tried to open my mind to a new landscape and experience it – literally prepare myself before taking a walk to “see” the beauty that I am certain has got to be there.  There is beauty in everything, right?  Okay, so here are some photos of my short hike around our campsite.



Previous campers to this nearby site placed rocks around all the trees and shrubs.  Maybe to protect the vegetation … maybe to make it look more like their backyard at home.  I wonder?  Now, that’s kind of a pretty touch.





This picture was taken of the tire tracks of a man that camped near us a few days back.  I took it to show that there are no designated sites – just camp where you wish.  But, look in the background beyond the Moose and Caboose – the Plomosa Mountains.  Now that’s beautiful.  A flashback to Colorado mountains?  Probably.  But … we are in the desert.  And … I did find something really beautiful.  It’s a start and I'm working on it.  



Thankful for #4: Mountains … even desert mountains.



I return to the Moose and find Jack right where I left him.

 

Blessings abound in my life and I am thankful for each and every one. 


I can't begin to express even a fraction of them, so here’s just a few:



~ Jack lounging in his chair instead of lying in a hospital bed.

~ A skilled surgeon at little Palo Verde Hospital.

~ The ability to travel as we wish around this wonderful country we live in.

~ Family and friends that are there to help at a moment’s notice.

~ The interesting and fun people along our journey that have enriched our travel experience.



Happy Thanksgiving … and Happy Hanukkah.  Count your blessings.


No comments:

Post a Comment